Which Direction Should Your Office Desk Face?
It’s tough enough to choose the best desk for your office—but have you considered which direction your office desk face should face? Whether toward the door, window, or wall, each direction has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
The work desk should be facing south-west, and your working place should be facing northeast, with no obstructions such as a fence, window, or balcony behind the workstation. This reduces depression while also improving a person’s focus.
Though some should argue otherwise, there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to office desk positioning.
While room limitations can determine where your office desk is placed, if you have the luxury of desk placement options, you can certainly use them!
Take into account your professional patterns, distractions, and how you envision yourself working more efficiently.
Examine each desk orientation’s advantages and disadvantages, and then choose the right fit for you to maximize efficiency! Here are a few things to consider:
1. Face Your Desk Away From Visual Distractions
Some people like to have their desks face the wall because it prevents them from staring out the window or seeing passers-by.
However, it can give the appearance of being isolated from the rest of the room. Depending on the size of your workspace, facing the wall will enclose you in a cramped, claustrophobic corner.
If space permits, one solution is to position your desk in the center of the room but still facing the wall. There are a few things to explore depending on what you need from your desk and office:
- Facing your desk against the rear or side wall reduces distractions (by avoiding ‘window gazing’ or people-watching), but it can make you feel claustrophobic because you can’t see out of the workplace.
- The relentless hustle and bustle of the outside work can be overwhelming, but facing your desk away from the wall can foster a sense of openness and inspire discussion and cooperation.
2. Enjoy the View – and Feel Less Constricted
If you can’t bear the thought of staring at the same landscape for nearly the entire workday, you may want to consider putting your desk in front of a fan.
- The shifting view outside the window will inspire you or, at the very least, have a mental break between activities.
- Even in the cloudier months, the influx of sunshine will help you keep a healthy attitude.
If you’re concerned about further disruptions, place your desk against the wall, but with the window on one side. A desk in front of or near a window is always the ideal compromise and a common choice for most people.
3. Avoid Your Back to the Door/Entrance
Whether you’re not easily overwhelmed and have many in-person interactions in your workplace, or if you’re in charge of the whole office, you may want to try rearranging your desk so that it faces the door or entry.
This arrangement allows the coworkers to see how busy they are in real-time, allowing them to come in and out without disturbing a phone call.
4. Place Your Desk To Work Best For You
When it is time to choose the best desk spot, you have a few choices. Find one that fits your desires – and your workplace – and see how much more creative you can be while your desk is in the right place.
Since finance is the lifeblood of every business, it’s critical to set up an office according to the ancient science of Vastu Shastra’s guidelines. Small companies’ financial circulation is primarily based on payment receipts and cash flow, whereas large businesses have financial stability sources.
The office should have furniture items set in the right direction to help you navigate pitfalls and pave the way for success and positivity at work.
According to Ashna Ddhannak, Vastu specialist and founder of the mental wellness boutique Enlightening Lifestyle, you can only be good at work if the world is calm and spirited.
As a result, proper furniture positioning ensures financial stability and improves a person’s overall well-being. Ddhannak has compiled a list of Vastu Shastra guidelines for the workplace to help you achieve productivity and financial stability.
Prosperity at Work – Different types of business require different direction of the office desk
Here are some suggesting for different types of business and the direction the office desk should face:
- According to Vastu Shastra, entrepreneurs should sit in their offices facing north, east, or north-east because it is considered auspicious. It is advantageous for financial growth when the sun rises in the east.
- To ensure that marketing and sales professionals are more proactive at work, they can sit in the northwest direction, facing the northeast direction.
- For more incredible wealth, accounting practitioners can sit in the southeast corner of the office and face the northeast.
- Business leaders should take up residence in a cabin in the office’s western section. They should face the northeast to strengthen their leadership abilities.
The shape of Your Desk
- The Vastu Shastra for offices forbids the storage of finished products (for food manufacturers) in the office desk in the northeast direction because it causes obstacles. To guarantee that finished products are sold, they should be put in a northwest direction.
- Critical financial records should be held in a safe built in the office’s southwest corner. To boost finances and overall stability, security should face the northeast.
- For first-time guests, the office’s reception room leaves a lasting impression. Placing a bouquet of French lavender flowers or green jade flowers on the reception desk. For example, would fill the space with positivity, attracting prosperity. A four-leaf clover rose, which brings good luck and fortune, can be installed at the office’s entrance.
- Entrepreneurs can choose a table or desk that is rectangular and made of high-quality wood. An irregularly shaped glass or metal table in the cabin encourages uncertainty, tension, and disconnection from function.
Creating Energy Abundance at Work
- Office workers, traders, and business people should avoid sleeping at their desks, according to Ashna Ddhannak, because it generates harmful energies.
- Maintain a clutter-free workspace. Lock up your papers and books—sort documents into categories based on their importance. Broken stationery can also be removed to eliminate financial roadblocks.
- Employees must never approach a door in their cabins with their backs to it, as this would prevent them from watching people enter. According to Vastu Shastra, this could lead to workplace mistrust.
How to Choose Office Direction According To Your Profession?
While it might seem odd to us, we must find an office conducive to our career. Before you buy or rent an office, double-check your favorable and unfavorable paths.
- Doctors, teachers, coaching institutes, and everything related to education profit from an east-facing office.
- The location of ‘Ish’ and the planet Jupiter is northeast. Jupiter bestows money, strength, and wisdom. As a result, banks, financial institutions, and lending businesses will benefit from this path.
- North is the path of money, so whether you’re a chartered accountant or a finance professional, face north.
- We should avoid taking office with a northwest orientation because this region is dominated by air, which doesn’t allow anything to sit there for long. As a result of this, it could be a good option for traders who do not want their stock to sit in their office for an extended period. Since the Moon is still connected to the North West, a dairy can be planned here.
- Since West is Saturn’s path and the color black, anybody who wants to start a coal, tire, or oil-related company can choose a West facing office.
- Avoid having a South West facing office at all costs; it would destroy your company’s stability and efforts.
- Lawyers, Property Consultants, Boutiques, and Beauty Salons will benefit from a south-facing office. South is the path of Mars, which represents power and authority.
- The South East is ideal for hotels, restaurants, beauty salons, and every other fire-related enterprise.
Now that we know which path is best for us, we should look for an office that fits our occupation; for example, a restaurant owner should look for an office that faces southeast.
Department-wise seating arrangement
- Entrepreneurs should sit with their backs to the north, east, or northeast, as these directions are said to promote new beginnings and prosperity.
- People of marketing and distribution should face north-east to be constructive. They may even sit in the direction of the northwest.
- Officials from the accounting department can sit in the south-eastern corner, facing the northeast.
Seating arrangement for managers and owners
- People in positions of leadership should have a cabin in the west and faces north-east.
- Owners of businesses should sit with their backs to the east or north. A concrete wall, not a wooden divider or curtain, should also be present behind the bench.
- Managers, directors, and executives can be seated in the office’s southwest, south, or west corner. This will assist employees in making sound choices.
Employee seating arrangement
- Employees must work in the office with their backs to the north or east, increasing productivity. Employees should avoid sitting directly in front of a light source. If it is inevitable, a wooden board should be used to protect it.
Cutting-edge neuroscience study demonstrates how facing a specific path is crucial for coordinated brain functioning and peak mental output.
When you look in one direction, a specific group of neurons fires. When you turn your head in a random direction, a new range of options appears. So, what is the right way to function to maximize your brain’s performance?
That’s right. According to the study results, facing east is the best way to meet for peak job success and overall mind-body integration. The next best option is to face north.
South and West are considered unfavorable directions to travel in and can be avoided if at all necessary.
TIPS ON WHICH DIRECTION SHOULD YOUR OFFICE DESK FACE:
- If you’re having trouble with attention, concentrating, decision-making, or any other mental processes at work, and it’s a pretty simple thing to do, turn your home or workstation/desks to face actual east
- If going east isn’t an option, consider going north as a backup plan
- If you can’t find east or north precisely, try north of east or east of north.
Don’t believe that the way you look at your desk is the only thing that matters. When holding business meetings or other activities, looking east (or north) will enhance your reasoning, decision-making, and comprehension.
Of course, you must consider who else you are working with. If you’re selling stuff and your message is crystal clear, you would like your crowd to face east so they can “clearly see” the benefits.
Is it more important to present information plainly at a forum, or is it more important than the listener can assimilate the information better? To suit your needs, change the way you’re facing.
According to studies, the east is a better place to think creatively. For more ‘clear thought,’ the north is preferable. Give it a shot to see if you notice any changes.
The Office Desk Is Seen As A Barrier.
According to psychology, office desks that sit in between individuals can have a detrimental impact on empathy experience. The direction of the office desk is significant, unlike the other concepts listed above.
However, according to science, how people use these desks and nonverbal contact will affect how they feel and their productivity.
According to evidence, when a big office desk separates two coworkers, they are more likely to be less empathic. This theory would hold even though an office desk was not facing West.
Highly busy areas
Those struggling to concentrate in a crowded workplace sometimes feel resentment. There are a few things that can be done to save this from happening. First and foremost, the desk should be positioned to be visible to his or her coworkers.
When colleagues are aware of how busy an individual is, interruptions are less common. Putting the desk behind a closed door with no access is a surefire way to prevent this from happening.
From a science standpoint, there’s nothing wrong with looking west. Much better, a West-facing office desk with window views will go a long way. It has been shown that sometimes staring out into the horizon is good for the brain.
This is why, rather than choosing a desk position based on cardinal points, it could be more essential to find the best place for the desk in silence and long-distance viewing.
In conclusion, office desk organization is a delicate balance between getting everything you need within easy reach but still not overcrowding your workspace. Anything you need daily should ideally be within arm’s reach, so you don’t have to trek around the room any time you need a reference text or an address book.
If you want to keep your desk surface free of distractions, a swivel-style office chair with wheels will allow you to use shelves or file cabinets behind you to keep all of your essentials within reach without having to stand.